“Technology will NEVER replace real estate professionals, but real estate professionals WITH technology will.” I’ve heard and read this line so many times, but is it true? Technology and the Real Estate Industry have become so inter-connected and dependent upon each other lately. Just look where we’ve come from in the last 10-15 years. I remember when Fax machines and ATM’s were headline news.
So What Is Real Estate Technology? I Guess that depends on who you ask…
What Technology and tools do you consider a necessity to do business effectively in 2009? Is there a right or wrong answer?! My observation is this, many people in the Industry already have some of the technology tools they need to be successful, they just might not be using them to their full potential.
Having a laptop, a cell phone, fax machine, scanner, digital camera, a GPS and more may seem like the tech tools you’ll need, but just owning them might not be enough. Do you already have all these items? Are you using them to their fullest? What else could you be doing? It’s all about how you use Real Estate technology that will determine how effectively you can and will do business today and in the future.
Any of these look or sound familar?
- You own a laptop, but you’re only checking email and the MLS for listings, otherwise it’s closed.
- Your cell phone works for making and receiving calls, the rest of the time it’s in your pocket or purse.
- Your fax machine has been out of paper for the last 3 mos. you only noticed today because it rang?
- You own a scanner, but the convenient horizontal surface allows you to stack up folders and bills?
- Your digital-camera hasn’t been out of it’s case in the last 5-10 days…you think…
- GPS – Why would anyone ever need or use this in the Real Estate Industry?
Many of us already own these tools, but aren’t using them fully to develop and help grow business.
If you owned a VCR (old school technology) this is a classic example. Most people used less than 25% of the features on the VCR. It’s not much different with some of the newest and latest tools that are available today.
So in what unique ways are you using technology in your Business? What more can you do to maximize the tools you already have? What technology do you really need? Which tools will become obsolete or be replaced? Technology is ruled by two types of people: those who manage what they do not understand, and those who understand what they do not manage. Want options? Needing more ideas? Stay tuned…
RENetBlog – Real Estate Technology & Tools for 2009
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” Arthur C. Clarke
“640K ought to be enough for anybody” Bill Gates